As summer approaches, nobody wants to spend a lot of time in a hot kitchen, so what do you do when you want something quick and healthy that you and your dog can share?
Check out our collection of quick and easy dog- and people-friendly recipes that are perfect for picnic outings or cooling down on a hot day.
Peanut butter and banana ice drops
- 1 cup (240 ml) peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- Line sheet pan with wax paper.
- Mash and combine peanut butter and banana in a small bowl.
- Mix in water (this will help with the freezing consistency).
- Spoon the mixture onto the tray in drops and freeze overnight.
- Once frozen, store the treats in a bag or container in the freezer.
Strawberry coconut-milk ice cream
- 28 ounces (830 ml) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) strawberries, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cinnamon
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a freezer-safe container.
- Cover and freeze for several hours, until the consistency of ice cream.
Sweet frozen fruit treats
- 1/2 cantaloupe, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup (240 ml) low-fat blueberry yogurt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- Puree cantaloupe in food processor.
- Mix fruit, yogurt, and honey together.
- Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze.
Tip: Try different fruit/yogurt combinations. Don’t forget to wash all fruits and remove the rinds, inedible skins, seeds and peels before feeding them to your dog!
Dog-friendly fruits include: apples (without seeds), bananas, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cranberries, honeydew, huckleberries, kiwis, oranges, pears, raspberries, strawberries, and watermelon.
NOTE! The following fruits can be deadly to dogs. Do not use any of these when making treats for your dog: grapes, persimmons, peaches, plums, or raisins.